30 July - 3 August 2018
IT Law Summer School
The leading event to gain a comprehensive grounding in all the critical aspects of IT law.
This all-inclusive residential event is led by the top legal experts and designed to equip you with the practical knowledge and ability needed to succeed in the IT sector.
The fundamental event to expand your cyber law knowledge
Whether you have recently started your training contract or are seeking to move into the field of Information Technology, the IT Law Summer School is the perfect choice.
Hear from some of the most respected legal minds from across industry and private practice and spend the evening exploring the beautiful and historic city of Cambridge with your new colleagues.
Now in its 21st year, the IT Law Summer School remains the fundamental event to give you the knowledge and tools to make your career in IT Law a success.
Meet the chairs for the IT Law Summer School
Quentin Archer, Consultant, Hogan Lovells
Graham Smith, Partner, Bird & Bird
Harry Small, Partner, Baker McKenzie
Rosemary Jay, Senior Consultant Attorney, Hunton Williams
Christopher Millard, Professor of Privacy and Information Law & Senior Counsel, Queen Mary University of London & Bristows
The IT Law Summer School in Numbers
Build knowledge in key areas of IT law theory and application at the IT Law Summer School
Enjoy 4 evenings of networking in historic Cambridge!
- Get to know your new colleagues in a relaxed, informal setting
- Form a team and test your general knowledge at our pub quiz night
- Dress up for a formal gala dinner in the historic dining hall
- Enjoy a guided tour of historic Cambridge
- Make a splash punting on the scenic River Cam
DAY 1: Learn the key concepts every legal practitioner needs to know
- Understand legal liability in the digital age
- Discover the principal elements and obligations of an IT contract
- Explore the relationship between law and practice when looking at exclusions and limitations of liability
- Grasp the complex relationship between IT and IP
- Get involved in a mock contract debate
DAY 2: Take an in-depth look at copyright and procurement
- Hear from the Technology Law Alliance on technology procurement
- Learn about alternative IP licenses and their uses
- Master the complex field of technology public procurement
- Explore the specific copyright issues surrounding software
- Competition law in the IT sector: why is it special?
DAY 3: Tackle the new challenges of corporate transactions
- Make sure your corporate transactions are wrinkle free by understanding the risks and exposure IT brings
- Learn how to structure outsourced tech contracts
- Explore how cloud computing is changing data processing, contracting and more
DAY 4: Protecting privacy in the information era
- Get up to date on GDPR challenges
- How will international transfers change under the GDPR?
- ICO enforcement powers
- Digest the scope of the Investigatory Powers Act and how it will affect the legal industry
DAY 5: Exploring the frontier of IT Law
- Understanding liability on social media
- Jurisdictional considerations - where are you liable?
- FinTech and Blockchains are changing the financial world - make sure you're ready
- Learn how robotics, AI and computer learning is changing the legal practice
UNIQUE MULTI-FORMAT LEARNING AND NETWORKING EXPERIENCE
Delegates will have the chance to learn and absorb information in a variety of formats including in-depth presentations, interactive group discussions, attention-grabbing case studies and practical workshops. The sessions have been crafted with the purpose of ensuring that the topics are fully understood and covered from multiple angles.
I have enjoyed the week. The speakers have presented on a range of topical and practical issues that are pertinent for all IT lawyers. The event administration and organisation has been excellent too.
The practical application, mock registrations and mark up examination was invaluable.
This conference was amazing! I wish I had done this right at the beginning of my qualification.
Baker & McKenzie LLP
It was particularly good to see the content updated annually to keep its relevant in such a fast paced environment. Covering the content basics was a great reminder of thing to focus on.
DLA Piper UK LLP
Amazing collegiality between faculty members and students. Lots of practical information and very relevant topics covered.
Pinsent Masons LLP