EU Merger Control
With increased political influence on EU mergers becoming evident join us for an in-depth look, with global perspectives, at the recent major developments.
Expect thorough discussion of the associated challenges of big data, multijurisdictional mergers, and an update on the latest cases.
Merger control experts who spoke in 2019 included:
Highlights at the 2019 conference included:
Offering the ultimate review of EU merger control developments for the year. Our expert panel will impart substantial practical advice on the below topics and others...
The Increasing Influence of Politics
- How has protectionism affected merger control?
- Are we seeing a toughening approach in the EU regarding merger control and could this eventually lead to reforms?
- National security considerations including a potential CFIUS equivalent for EU member states
- What role does public interest have to play?
Multijurisdictional Mergers and Global Perspectives
- Parallel enforcement
- Thresholds, processes, and tests from around the world
- Difficulties faced between authorities when coordinating mergers across jurisdictions
- Challenges associated with filing procedures and timelines
Big Data & Innovation: The Challenges for Merger Control
- Big data’s role in merger control e.g. theories of harm
- Contemporary policy issues such as ‘killer acquisitions’ and how this could affect R&D companies
- Difficulties defining a market in such a fast-paced environment
- Institutional issues and remedies
Case Law Update
Diving headfirst into the most pertinent cases and the implications arising from them:
- Vodafone/Liberty Global
National-Level Developments: Lessons to be Learnt
- Are the national regulators leading the way?
- CMA developments
- A review of significant decisions from Germany
- Lessons for corporates
Practical and Procedural Pointers
- Gun-jumping procedural rules
- The standstill obligation and remaining questions from the EY/KPMG case
- Rights of defence raised in UPS/TNT
- How to manage logistical implications