10 - 12 September 2019
Gonville & Caius College,
European Commercial Law Summer School
A uniquely immersive event, providing you with a comprehensive understanding of commercial law
Three-day residential summer school delivered by leading minds in the field and equipping you with a practical understanding of commercial law.
Why come to the European Commercial Law Summer School
Whether you are a junior lawyer looking to specialise in commercial law or taking your first role as in-house counsel, the European Commercial Law Summer School will give you the tools you need to advance your career.
Hear from commercial lawyers practising at the top legal firms, legal counsel for titans of industry, and decorated lawyers working at the forefront of the startup revolution.
This must-attend event will ensure you have the knowledge required to succeed in commercial law.
From foundation to expert
From a basic introduction to commercial and contract law through to special agreements and joint ventures, the Commercial Law Summer School will begin with the basics and then move on to cover what you need to know to be successful in commercial law.
Tackling modern challenges
The summer school will tackle the latest case law in-depth, keeping you abreast of all the important decisions from the courts. We will also discuss key developments in the EU, such as the effect of Brexit, as well as changes caused by advancing technology.
Meet experts from across Europe
With evening punts on the river Cam, barbecues in the sun, and evening quizzes, there are plenty of ways to get to know your new colleagues and pick the brains of the established industry representatives.
DAY 1 - Anatomy of a Contract and IP
- Introduction to commercial and contract law
- How to effectively limit risk and liability
- Lessons learnt from recent significant cases & practical case study
- Practical guide to drafting standard clauses
- Drafting and negotiating software licence agreements
DAY 2 - Specialist Agreements
- Outsourcing contracts
- Review of commercial agents regulations across both the UK and EU
- The impact of Brexit on commercial contracts
- Key issues in consumer law
DAY 3 - Intellectual Property, Data Protection and Competition Law
- Competition law: assessing recent trends and internal compliance
- How to maximise the opportunities and avoid the pitfalls of social media
- Intellectual property for commercial lawyers
- Recent developments in data protection and privacy
MULTI-FORMAT LEARNING AND NETWORKING EXPERIENCE
Delegates will have the chance to learn in a variety of formats including:
Interactive group discussions
Attention-grabbing case studies
The sessions have been crafted with the purpose of ensuring that the topics are fully understood and covered from multiple angles.
UNIQUE NETWORKING ACTIVITIES
In addition to world class speakers and content, make the most of British summertime and enjoy 2 evenings of networking in historic Cambridge!
- 10th SEPTMBER: Form a team and test your general knowledge at our pub quiz night
- 11th SEPTEMBER: Make a splash punting on the scenic river Cam followed by a Pimms drinks reception and barbecue dinner