Big Data and Competition Law
Examine the new frontier of competition law
What sort of business asset is data? What are the competition law implications? How should online platforms be regulated? Join this timely conference to discuss the challenges big data presents for competition law and how the authorities are addressing them.
WHY JOIN THE BIG DATA AND COMPETITION LAW CONFERENCE? Highlights at the 2017 event included:
Competition authorities from across Europe are turning their attention to big data and questioning what sort of market power it can confer. The European Commission recently fined Google a ground-breaking €2.42bn, the German competition authority is investigating Facebook and last year published a joint study with the French competition authority into the use of big data, the Italian competition authority is following in their footsteps... As competition authorities are only starting to grapple with this complex and rapidly evolving area, it is essential for all competition lawyers to understand the fundamental questions it poses.
- A view from the Commission
- Approaches to enforcement from across Europe and Beyond
- Abuse of dominance
- Merger control
- Market definition
- Data protection and competition law
- Pricing algorithms and information exchange
- Online distribution
Who you will hear from?
- Hear directly from Thomas Kramler on the Digital Single Market initiatives
- Gain a critical understanding of the current investigations conducted by the national competition authorities
- Get industry insights from in-house counsel at technology companies
- Discuss latest cases with lawyers who are involved in them
- Analyse how best to define online markets with economists
Join the debate:
New frontiers of competition law: what is the proper concern for competition law?
- How should online platforms be regulated?
- Role of fairness and social values in competition law
- Concerns for privacy, freedom of expression and democracy
- What responsibilities do technology companies have?
- Consumer welfare
Hear directly from regulators, in-house counsel and top legal minds at the Big Data & Competition Law event - 2017 speakers included:
The Commission has fined Google a record-breaking €2.4 bn, more than double the previous EU record of €1.06bn ...who will be next?
Why attend one of our competition law conferences?
"Great insight on competitive law topics from different points of view."
Ann-Karolina Braun, Roche Diagnostics GmbH
"A super one-stop shop to having a briefing on major recent developments"
V Power, A & L Goodbody
“Excellent speakers and interesting debate!”
E Goulron, SJ Berwin